Nov 4, 2012

NaNo and General Update

So, my SYTYCW entry didn't make the top 28. Didn't expect it to--I just don't have a very big social media presence. Instead, I used the contest deadline as a motivator to crank out a first draft in 16 days! That's an all time best for me. I can't say I write well under pressure, but I can write without the infernal editor slowing me down. You know, so long as there's that threat of public humiliation. Now it's resting, along with my ZombieRapunzel, in the ToBeEdited pile.

I figured that if I can write 50K in 16 days, surely I can actually do NaNo... so long as there is a threat of public humiliation! Signed up with Savvy Authors for their NaNo Bootcamp with the Entangled Indulgence editors. This let us run our synopses past the editors to get feedback on the story we meant to write for NaNo. Very helpful! For the NaNo portion, we're all on teams and if you don't pull your weight you don't help your team. I did 7K words in 3 days, not too bad, guess it's working. Hope I can keep it up.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to finish up my scarf project, learning needle tatting because it's awesome and after I get done with this Victorian Bride Home Study course I'm going to have a vast repertoire of things I can make at home(but that are much easier to buy): granulated sugar(yes you can make it at home), cheese, butter, jelly, ice cream, candles, yeast colonies, blankets, sweaters, scarves, and now lace for jewelry and flimsy underthings. None of that is particularly practical, but at least in a zombiepocalypse I'll be warm, have cheese, and feel pretty. Because nothing makes you feel pretty while running for your life like lacy underwear.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck on the Nano. I'm not 'officially' participating, but I'm using the month to finish my first draft. I say: "You can do eet!" I'll cheerlead where I can.

    FYI: I don't know if I'll feel comfortable in lacy underthings during the zombiepocalypse, but I'll eat cheese with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I didn't sign up on the official NaNo site either. I figure whatever way you participate is a win for you--so long as you're writing. So good luck to you too :)

      P.S. My cheese selection will be limited, but probably kind of tasty. Maybe. Hopefully. It's harder to make cheese than to build your own yeast colony!

      Delete
    2. Yeast colony... hmm, I'm going to have to research the benefits of yeast over cheese. ;)

      Delete
  2. I didn't know about the NaNo boot camp, that's a great idea. The threat of humiliation is always very motivating for me as well. Good luck!

    Glad you're prepared for the zombiepocalypse, I have a lot of work to do to get ready. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! They say that pride is a sin, but how can it be wrong when it is such a good motivator!?

      I gotta figure out what else to learn in case of zombiepocalypse. There should be some kind of grow-your-own-penicillin kit--you know, the next stage process after you've got that bread good and moldy. :D

      Delete

Spammers have found me again, so to save my inbox and avoid an extra, useless, and extra-useless daily task to nick the useless comments, captcha is on!