- 1090 first chapters uploaded, the rough equivalent of about 109 of the shorter length category romances
Currently, the judges/editors at Harlequin Mills&Boon are trying to cull 20 from the herd, and advance them to round two. The math on this is not pretty.
- 1.8% of all entries will advance to round 2 -- or --
- 1 in 55 chapters make round 2 (slightly less scary for some reason)
Those are not good odds. It's better than the lottery or being hit by lightning, but if you had a 1.8% chance of surviving an operation, you wouldn't sign up, yea?
Thankfully, there are other wins to take from the competition:
- The comments.
- The chance to see the competition so you can decide if you're bringing your A-Game when you submit.
- The chance to learn from the mistakes of others.
The suspense is killing me. I didn't call any of the semi-finalists last year, and when I read them some of them were actually quite surprising to me... so I'm curious to see if my eye has been honed at all, and also to see what currently is catching the editor's attention.
The list goes live Thursday, and then I will return to this WIP on a more normal schedule, and hopefully to posting regularly. It's about time for the Spiderpocalypse report--the warmer weather has kept them mostly out of sight so far, I think. but around Halloween when it always gets quite cold, they'll be inside. A flipping beetle got into my room the other night and about drove the cat crazy(which was totally fun), so: flipping beetles seek warmer accommodations before spiders do -- bless their little clumsy hearts.