Mar 21, 2012

Accountability Update & Bready stuffs



Loving the snowflake method for writing. First time using it, and feeling ridiculously empowered. Building from one sentence to one paragraph to one page... and on to a (short) prototype first draft takes all the overwhelmed feelings away from the process. No start at A and write 60K words and hope you end at Z, the gradual expansion makes it all feel very possible. It's comforting.

First draft goal has evolved. Harlequin announced a fast-track for their Romance/Riva subs, and since Riva is where I feel my voice belongs within the Harlequin family, I've derailed from eWife enough to start working on another story. Much as I am uncertain about my ability to write two projects at the same time, my first draft on eWife by April 1 goal has become Prototype First Draft by April 1, and actually I'm ahead of schedule on that.


Amending goals to include prototype draft of the Fast-Track Riva manuscript, along with first chapter and synopsis by April 23, which is the end date on submissions.

Finally, is it crazy to feel like I'm cheating on my wildyeast starter to contemplate baking with any other kind of leavening? Seriously, I'm like... if it doesn't use the starter, I ain't making it. That can't be normal. I don't even know if you can use it for stuff like... cookies. Or biscuits!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I've never heard of the snowflake method. It sure sounds like it makes writing simple. I'm all for that. I'll have to google it.
    :)
    Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually read the system when I first tried to write in an organized fashion, and balked at the 'wasteful' writing that it entails. Then I wrote the same book several times and no longer consider a little pre-writing writing to be wasteful.

      Will let you know how it goes. So far, so good!

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of the snowflake method - I've used it a couple of times, but I never finish. It always spurs me just far enough to just sit down and write - so I'll keep using it as a plotting/inspiration tool rather than a structuring device.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I have structure problems so much as I have a tendency to Chicken Little when I dig in and the end seems so far away. It's easier to contemplate just expanding sections than starting at A and then adding 60K words to get to Z... Or worse, get to W and find out that you went about it all wrong!

      Delete

Spammers have found me again, so to save my inbox and avoid an extra, useless, and extra-useless daily task to nick the useless comments, captcha is on!